What is a healthy and safe weight loss program?
A healthy weight loss program consists of:
- A thorough history and physical examination that focuses on the complex factors leading to weight gain including hormonal factors such as hypothyroidism, other hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome, stress eating, eating disorders, sleep disorders, medications, genetic factors to name a few.
- A reasonable, realistic weight loss goal as determined by the weight loss doctor that fits your particular situation, objectives, and weight loss goals.
- A reduced calorie, nutritionally-balanced eating plan or meal replacement that reduces the calories by about 500-1500 calories a day so you can expect to lose 1-3 pounds per week
- A personalized exercise prescription by a physician familiar with your medical history that you can live with. An understanding that exercise alone, without a restricted diet is almost useless as a tool for weight loss.
- A behavior change plan for long term weight loss success to help you stay on track with your goals and maintain the weight loss.
W8MD’s 8 things to do for fast and safe weight loss in New York City, Philadelphia and NJ
Start with a knowing where you are with a body mass index calculator, a measuring tape, a copy of the last blood work, if have any and understand where you stand.
Step 1 for choosing the best weight loss program
Check your BMI or body mass index using an online BMI calculator.
Step 2 for choosing the best weight loss program
2. Get a measureing tape and measure your waist circumference in the most prominent part of the belly. Also measure the hip circumference. Understand what might be causing your weight gain – see if you might be insulin resistant that might be causing your belly fat!
If you are male and have a waist of over 40 inches in the most prominent part.
and if you are a female and have a waist of over 36 inches, you may have underlying insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome that may be causing your weight gain, especially in the belly and upper part of the body. (For Asians, the threshold is 35 inches for men and 31 inches for women).
Understanding the waist to hip ratio.
Step 3 for choosing the best weight loss program
Check if you meet the criteria for metabolic syndrome. Go to http://w8md.com/w8d-healthy-living/w8md-metabolic-syndrome-meter and see if you meet the criteria for metabolic syndrome.
Step 4 for choosing the best weight loss program
Find a weight loss program that accepts health insurance (if you have health insurance)
Step 5 for choosing the best weight loss program
Consult with an Obesity Medicine Trained Physician knowledgeable about metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and other causes for weigth gain and can help you lose weight safely and effectively using evidence based methods.
Step 6 for choosing the best weight loss program
Start a Low Calorie or Very Low Calorie Diet Plan that cuts you calories by about 500-1000 calories a day so you can lose about 1-2 pounds a week
Step 7 for choosing the best weight loss program
Start walking or other low to moderate intensity exercise program. Understand that exercise alone is useless for weigth loss but in combination with a reduced calorie diet, it helps.
Step 8 for choosing the best weight loss program
Start a behavior change plan to help you stay on track with your goals.
About W8MD weight loss, sleep & medspas
Insurance weight loss programs
Since its inception in 2011, W8MD’s insurance physician weight loss program has successfully helped thousands of patients succeed in not only losing weight but also keep it off with an ongoing maintenance plan.
Weight loss testimonials
“I lost 75 lbs with W8MD and feel great. I managed to come off many medications and off CPAP for sleep apnea. My only problem is that I now need new cloths, a problem I will trade for carrying the weight any day” J.W.Smith, CPA. More Weight loss success stories
Related posts for losing weight
- Weight loss secrets revealed
- 8 Amazing weeks of weight loss
- Diet and inflammation
- Weight loss NYC
- Weight loss Philadelphia
- Weight loss King Of Prussia
(800)W8MD-007 to find a location near you.